The Idaho Aviation Association gives Idaho a general aviation voice, both locally and nationally. Our mission is to:
- represent our members in forums where decisions are made that affect general aviation;
- inform our members about aviation issues;
- work with public and private entities for the preservation, maintenance and enhancement of aviation facilities; and
- promote safety, education and public understanding of general aviation in Idaho.
- Backcountry access
- Airspace preservation for general aviation
- Airport improvements
- Advocacy of aviation issues
- Coordination with regulatory authorities
- Education of legislators
- Dissemination of information
- Active participation in general aviation
IAA serves members through six local districts and a state Board of Directors. We have over 1000 members who promote or oppose laws, rules, and regulations affecting general aviation. Additionally, we promote educational and informational programs.
In 1998 the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association awarded IAA the President's Special Citation recognizing our membership's contributions toward promoting general aviation, particularly IAA's efforts to maintain wilderness airports.
IAA Activities & Programs
Aviation Career Education Academy (ACE Academy)
Each year, IAA members volunteer their time and resources to provide career briefings, orientation flights, social activities, and hands-on experience for Idaho high school students.
Adoption of State of Idaho and USFS Airstrips
IAA sponsors maintenance work parties and IAA members volunteer as campground hosts to enhance safe operations at more than a dozen Idaho public airstrips.
Campaign to Preserve Public Airstrips
IAA members participate in letter-writing campaigns, speeches, and personal presentations to promote public awareness of the need to keep existing airstrips open and to re-open closed fields.
Informational Flights and Demonstrations
IAA members volunteer time and aircraft to fly federal and state government representatives to airstrips to assess proposed closures.
Lobbying and Political Efforts
IAA testifies before Congress and state legislatures and agencies regarding pending legislation and regulations that affect Idaho aviators. IAA coordinates letter-writing campaigns and other lobbying efforts supporting its positions.
Wilderness Within Reach
IAA members volunteer their time and aircraft to fly physically-challenged individuals into wilderness airstrips that would otherwise be inaccessible to them.